Thursday, July 27, 2006

The Tarantino Brand

Earlier in the year various bare-faced lies were told - to me, and various other sites and blogs - about Quentin Tarantino directing a Jimi Hendrix biopic. It was never, ever going to happen, and all the lies did was create an animosity between the Tarntino fanbase and Elle von Lear, executive of Dragonslayer Entertainment - seemingly the source of the falsehoods.

Now there's talk that Tarantino wants to remake the Dutch horror film Dood Eind, or Dead End. Again, nothing to back it up - and the source of the rumours seem to be the makers of the original film. Shame - the film has quite a nice premise about a haunted house in which, once you enter a room, there's no way you can leave. Wish I'd got there first.

So, while everybody else is doing it, I might as well too. What if I told you that my short film The Enemy Within is Quentin Tarantino's favourite short film ever? And what if I said, in fact, he wants to expand it to a feature length film for him to both direct and star in? Sigh.

Tarantino is a brand that puts bums in seats and clicking fingers on mice and while this is still the case, I guess the lying and rumourmongering are going to continue, but the way the man himself talks up so many projects that are apparently totally genuine, though still quite likely to never see the light of day (Kill Bill animated prequels, a martial arts film in Mandarin, The Vega Brothers and so on) I didn't think there'd be a soul alive who took a single piece of Tarantino "news" without an accompanying sack of salt.

No comments: