Sunday, November 05, 2006

Second Run DVDs In November

I've received a press release telling me all about Second Run DVD's releases for the month of November. Tasty. Here's a little on each.

Knights of the Teutonic Order, directed by Aleksander Ford, is released on November 13th. From the synopsis, this one seems to have quite some contemporary relevance: The tale culminates at the Battle of Grunwald, the largest battle of the Middle Ages and a key moment in Central European history where the Polish and Lithuanian armies joined together to drive out the occupying forces of the German Knights of the Teutonic Order.

How the films's political sympathies shake out, I cannot tell you, as I've never seen it. Review copies are available now, so if I can swing one, I'll fill you in.

You can also pick up Avi Mograbi's (enticingly titled) Avenge But One of my Two Eyes on the same day. This documentary also draws some parallels to modern conflict, this time between the Israel-Palestine situation and the myths of Samson and Massada. Again, not a film I've seen - yet - though it is screening both tonight and tomorrow night in London, at the Curzon Soho and Cine Lumiere respectively. Had I done my due dilligence I would have afforded you more of a heads up, as both screenings will be accompanied with Q&A sessions with the director, which should be well worth catching. Anybody who makes it along to either, please fill me in on what was said - and, crucially, how the film is.

Then, on November 27th, comes Karoly Makk's A Long Weekend in Pest and Buda. This is Makk's final film to be made for cinemas and features the reteaming of Mari Torocsik and Ivan Darvas from Love, perhaps the director's most popular work - already available from Second Run. I'd recommend trying Love before the 27th rolls round, and if you join the pantheon of Makk fans, you'll know just what to try next.

Should I be able to secure review copies of Love and A Long Weekend in Pest and Buda I'll fill you in on the film ick/Karoly Makk party line.


A rather varied selection from Second Run, once again, who - don't forget - are giving these films their much-deserved UK DVD debuts. If they could only provide Criterion-sized packages of supplementary materials, then Eureka's Masters of Cinema range would really be facing some serious competition.

No comments: