Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Shyamalan Bending Air Toon Style

M. Night Shyamalan is off to a fantastical pseudo-asian world of elemental conjuring and mystical beasts - and I don't mean he's signed a deal with Sony.

Set up at Paramount, Shyamalan's next project looks set to be a live action adaptation of a cartoon action adventure series, Avatar: The Last Airbender. I didn't spot this twist coming, I have to admit. He's going to producer, write and direct the film, with two potential sequels lined up if the first is a sufficiently sized hit. His source material is, I'm told, something quite special - so now, I suppose, I'm going to have to check it out as soon as possible.

Of course, James Cameron's new movie is to be called Avatar too, and already Paramount and Fox - the films' respective studios - are amping up the fighting talk. Quoted in Variety, Paramount claim to have registed Avatar: The Last Airbender for Shyamalan, while Fox say, quite clearly, "We own the movie title Avatar. There won't be another film called Avatar coming from anyplace."

Shyamalan lost his title battle last time, having to opt for The Village while Lucky McKee was given use of it's original moniker, The Woods.

We might not be sure what they're called yet, but I think we're looking at two of 2009's better studio movies here. Excellent.

No comments: