Saturday, March 24, 2007

Edgar Wright Says Don't

Edgar Wright's trailer in Grind House seems to be the least discussed part of the whole package. Clearly too subtle and refined a taste, eh?

Here's all I know - and it isn't enough, so any more, please send it my way:

The film is called Don't. Various captions appear during the trailer to Don't do this, Don't do the other - such as Don't Scream. I'm not 100% sure but I am prepared to bet that Don't Get Me Started and Don't Even Get Me Started are not among them.

Nick Frost and Simon Pegg both appear - but they're just two in a 30 strong cast. As the trailer is only 90 seconds long, that's a lot of faces in not a lot of time so try not to blink. Nobody I have spoken to who has seen Grind House recognised Simon and Nick but, yep, they're both in there.

I put it to Edgar that the trailer was looking a little Pete Walker-like, from the fragment I'd seen, but he told me "
There's not too much Pete Walker in there, a little more Argento and Bava, with a pinch of Legend of Hell House" - which disputes most people's assumption that he's simply done a Hammer pastiche.

Aside from Death Proof, the Don't trailer is the one thing I'm most looking forward to in Grind House - whenever it finally makes it out in the UK.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Saw Grindhouse on Friday here in Los Angeles and thought I'd let you know that Don't is hands down the best trailer. Roth's Thanksgiving coming in a close second for spirit and a tone close to those of the actual slasher films he was homaging.

Don't is very much inspired by Argento, Bava, Robert Wise, and Lucio Fulci. the Hammer influence is definitely there as well.

Did he shoot this after Hot Fuzz? I noticed quite a few people from Hot Fuzz. Rafe Spall is visible. Simon and Nick are as well. Nick's scene was very funny.

Don't open the door. Don't go in the house. Don't see this movie alone. DON'T. Fucking inspired.

Oh and Death Proof's car chase during the last minutes of the film...one of the best car chase in recent history. And no, Zoe Bell while being fun to watch will not leap out into a vehicle of her own anytime soon. Although a lot of us would like her too.