Thursday, May 10, 2007

Bruce Willis In The Geekosphere

I don't know if you've been following the conversation between Bruce Willis and the Talkbackers (ie; geeks a bit like me and maybe you) over at Aint it Cool. The short story is, basically, he's talking up Die Hard 4.0, even in its PG-13 version.

At first he was pretty much anonymous, posting as Walter B. Then Harry's Gang outed him, marked all of his posts with big black boxes and even set up another Talkback specifically for people to address him directly.

Some of his stuff has been priceless. Here are some excerpts:

This episode if Die Hard is as good, if not better than the first Movie. And I was there for that one too. In a Summer filled with CG/fantasy driven films, Live Free or Die Hard is an in-your-face, hard-ass Action movie that will satisfy Vern, and anyone else who is a fan of the Die Hard series. All PG-13 means is that you cannot say f*ck more than twice. Other than that, the Mythology of Die Hard lives....

Since they have existed, I always said the first Die Hard was the only good one. I will go on record here as saying that Live Free or Die Hard is better than the first one.

[Michael] Bay would have ruined DH4. Few people will work with him now, and I know I will never work with him again.

I had a website up for a while, I shut it down for an indefinite period, but now, getting ready to launch the longest shot of my careeer, I feel a strong personal pull to hear from an audience I do not know, sans Bullsh*t,(And that means I tell the Truth), sans gossip, just the straight, tight sh*t. I would personally hope it might be more about my work, good and bad, just us.

Takagi would still have his brains blown out had he been in DH4. Perhaps with a bit less gore, but we have some kills in DH4 that will still rock your *ss.

beedub/MaF*ckin'Clane/Walter B and proofreading is for pussies.... All I can say is that I will do what I can to remain comprehensible.

other than the 5 year old character of Lucy MaClane, who is now 26, there are no cameos from the 3 previous Die Hards. Thanks BW

If you need swearing to make you happy at the movies, there are plenty of those out there. But if you want a new action movie that will rock you, go see LF or DH.

That's enough. Go hunting for more, if you're still curious. It is quite fascinating stuff, really.

I left a question myself. I hope it gets answered. It will be interesting to compare the response to the question, and ultimately the film that is released. It reads:
Hi, Bruce So can you please attest to the quality of Die Hard 4.0's storytelling? Are there many plot holes? Contrivances? Superfluous coincidences? Do the characters stay in character? Do the plot twists play fair? Basically, can you tell us that the film is well structured, properly constructed and, generally well put together? And how is Wiseman with screen geography these days?


I'm hoping some other filmmakers follow this lead. There's plenty out there I'd have some serious questions for.

2 comments:

Tyler Foster said...

I said it in the talkback and I'll say it again -- even if it is a publicity stunt, it's the best publicity stunt of all time. I'm sure his mere presence changed the minds of a couple hundred AICN readers (including mine).

Brendon said...

I'm still expecting the film to be bad.

The third was my favourite. And I didn't much like that one.

But, yes, it doesn't matter if it is a 'stunt' or not - it is definitely publicity.

And I admire his frankness.