Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Completely Unexpected But Very Welcome

Variety have announced the director for the upcoming American Girl movie, the big screen spin-off of the popular dolls and accessories line. I didn't spot this one coming, but it's very interesting.

The director is to be Patricia Rozema, director of I Have Heard the Mermaids Singing and the Frances O'Connor-starring Mansfield Park. I'm a fan of Rozema's, that's for sure - so I'm choosing to see this as a bold move for a toy tie-in, and not a sign of desperation on the director's part. That's going to be a more popular interpretation, I'm sure. Cynics.

Abigail Breslin is signed to star as lead doll Kit Kittredge, "who tries to save her family as it struggles through the depression" with an open casting call next week to flesh out her band of doll-originated chums.

No comments: