Sunday, July 22, 2007

Comic Book Movie Casting Scoop Explosion

I know how they do it and I wish I could do it too, but I don't have what so much of what they have - that is, a couple of really good inside sources happy to spill the beans.

Latino Review have recently run a little molehill of comic book movie casting scoops - and, frankly, a couple of them are very disquieting.

First of all, Ray Stevenson has been cast as Frank Castle in the new Punisher film. Since John Dahl walked away from that one I've lost all personal interest, but if I did still care, I don't know how happy I'd be about Stevenson at all. Oh well. He might do a wonderful job. We'll all have to wait and see.

And then they confirm Jackie Earl Haley as Rorschach in Zack Snyder's Watchmen. I think we've all sort of settled down and bedded in with this idea by now, haven't we? He's not Paddy Considine, but he's not a bad choice. Not by any means.

But finally... they announced the casting of another Watchmen character. Laurie Juspeczyk, the Silk Spectre, will apparently be played by Malin Akerman.

That seems to support the stories about the budget shrinkage and the casting become less and less... er... ambitious. Casting unknowns is one thing, casting... er... less capable performers is another.

I wish Ms. Akerman the best of luck. She'll need it. And so will Snyder, if he wants to come out of this one with his reputation intact.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ray Stevenson proved on Rome to be a very good and physical performer. I'm happy that he landed a major role in a movie.
Instead the news about Malin Akerman landing the role of Silk Spectre found me really disappointed. She's the emotional core of the book, so we need an actress with a wide acting range.
Let's remember that back when Greengrass was supposed to direct the movie, they were in talks with Hilary Swank for the part. And Terry Gilliam in the early 90s was going to cast Jamie Lee Curtis.
She's hardly in their league.