Monday, August 06, 2007

Movie Minesweeper - The Biological Age Doubts Edition

- A sequel to The Sword and the Sorceror is coming. Will Lee Horsley and Kathy Beller return? I have to admit, I'm no fan of the original at all.

- Ridley Scott has confirmed that a Monopoly movie is in development. He's told the LA Times something of how he sees it working, and he's quite convincing. At the same time, he made it clear that no Blade Runner sequel is forthcoming. Probably ever. Which I think we could have guessed.

- Robin Hardy may finally be getting his Wicker Man sequel/rejig/companion piece on the move. No more is it The Riding of the Laddy, but Cowboys for Christ. Christopher Lee and Faye Dunaway are on side.

- The Dangerous Book for Boys is likely to become the Dangerous Film for Boys now Disney and Scott Rudin have grabbed the rights. I don't know how this can be suitably adapted - maybe something a bit like Danny, Champion of the World with more Rabbit murder/skinning?

- Steve Zahn has signed on to Night Train. The thriller revolves around a mysterious package and the three strangers who compete for it on a night train one Christmas Eve. Sounds like a great, resonant set-up, something Hitchcock might have made a great deal of. Other passengers on this movie will include Danny Glover and Leelee Sobieski. I'm expecting really good things from this one.

- The BBC are taking strides into the deep waters of videogame development. I look forward to using my Wiimote to knock Ian Beal about a bit, start a commotion in the queen Vic or descrate the final resting place of Arthur Fowler (and that's even before any games come out - boom boom).

- Jay Roach is replacing Sydney pollack as director of Recount. This is bad news in many respects: Roach replacing Pollack is bad news under any circumstances, but when it's because Pollack is too ill... suddenly I'm feeling quite down about the whole thing. If it doesn't sound too glib (and I don't know why it should, but I do worry) I hope Mr. Pollack is better soon.

- Chuck Palahniuk's Invisible Monsters may yet be a movie.

- As may Lethal Weapon 5. But don't put any money on it.

- Taking any excuse to publish a picture of Scarlett Johansson and Natalie Portman, JoBlo have the movie-tie in cover of The Other Boleyn Girl. I prefer the Natasha McElhone and Jodhi May casting from the TV version, personally.

No comments: