Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Daniel Waters Tops Himself

Has the man who gave us the bubblegum smash hit Teen Suicide: Don't Do It finally gone and topped himself?

Yep - At last, Daniel Waters may have written a script that's even better than Heathers.

In May, Waters begins production of Sex and Death 101, a film he is directing from his own screenplay. He's reportedly very, very pleased with the writing, and something tells me I would be too. The script for Heathers is, I would say, the greatest script ever yet produced as a motion picture. (Start throwing tomatoes now, but, yes, I do sincerely believe that. I know everybody has their favourites. What are yours? Maybe you can convince me I am wrong and you are right. We won't know unless you try).

Simon Baker - lead of Land of the Dead - will take the top billing in Sex and Death 101. His character recieves an e-mail, from an unknown source, that appears to list not only every woman he has ever slept with, but every one he ever will. Right there, in black and white, the very limitations of this man's sexuality, his whole life of sexual experience, some of it as yet unknown to him, bolted down in a plain and simple list of names. I can see why that would distress him.

Nothing else is known about how the story unfolds, as yet, but I'm there, for sure, on opening night. The press release had me at Daniel Waters.

Postscript: Heathers has a 100% score at Rotten Tomatoes. Don't just take my word for it - this film is genuinely beloved. Even Brazil only has 97%.

No comments: