Thursday, July 27, 2006

Musical Chairs

With Jason Reitman replacing Brad Silberling on Juno, Richard Kelly replacing Eli Roth on The Box, Brad Bird replacing Jan Pinkava on Ratatouille, Chris Weitz replacing Anand Tucker - who was originally replacing Chris Weitz - on The Golden Compass, Zack Snyder replacing Paul Greengrass on The Watchmen and John Lasseter replacing John Q. Hack on Toy Story 3, there's a lot of evidence about right now of how directors get shuffled into and out of projects.

Obviously, this has never happened to me. My projects have all been self-initiated, and I've seen them all through to completion myself. A couple of times they have gone unused - with a watered-down or adulterated version being made by a stand-in, just to take the edge off of my work, usually. Thankfully, though, I've never been in a position where I have spent months, if not years, getting a film ready for production only to have it taken away from me and somebody else given it, so that they can twist it into their own shape.

The very thought of it fills me with dread.

Having said that, though, I'm much happier with the new appointments in all but one of the above cases. Can you guess which one I'd rather have seen t'other way round?

No comments: