Saturday, July 01, 2006

Straightheads

Danny Dyer certainly gets around. Andrea Arnold's Red Road premiered at Cannes this year, but she made her name with Wasp, a short that might just be Mr. Dyer's finest hour. Playing Moff in Human Traffic, he pretty much stole every scene he was in. He's even provided voice work for a Grand Theft Auto videogame. I reckon he's probably a proper cult actor, with a small (perhaps very small) but dedicated (certainly very dedicated ) fanbase.

Amongst his upcoming films is Straightheads, a lower-low-budget British film also starring Gillian Anderson and Ralph Brown, erstwhile hawker of Camberwell Carrots. I don't know an awful lot about the plot, but it seems to combine elements of Crash, Bonny and Clyde and even maybe Essex Boys - how wrong I probably am. Dan Reed, the film's writer and director, was previously responsible for the nail-hard, scouse gangflick Shooters.

There's a fairly detailed blog online that has been following the film's production, and more lately post-production. Clearly, as everything is coming close to fruition, it's getting to be quite an exciting time for the filmmakers. They dropped me a line and asked me to take a look at their blog, so I have been enjoying it, but really, I'm sure, they wanted me to pass the link along to you, so you take a look - and tell them what you think.

No comments: