Monday, March 26, 2007

Banderas In Sin City 2, Depp In Sin City 3

Speaking to VH1, Robert Rodriguez got round to the small matter of Sin City casting and whipped out a couple of surprises:

[Johnny Depp] was interested in doing the Jackie Boy character that Benicio played, but he was doing that movie Libertine in Europe and it just kept getting pushed and delayed and went right through our shooting schedule. But there is a better role for him in [Sin City 3, based upon Hell and Back]. I kept going, 'Gosh, Jackie Boy is a small part, he could be really good [as Wallace].' When he wasn't available, I thought maybe it was meant to be.

When I showed [Antonio Banderas] the first sample of the work, he went, 'Man I'll do anything in that. I'll be the hunchback. You have to bring me onboard, that looks amazing. So Frank met him that time too and he said, 'I have got to find something for that guy. I've never met him before. He's amazing.' [We're] looking at the cast of characters and to see where he can fit.

There's plenty more in the full interview - but nothing on Ava Lord casting, more's the pity. Rosario Dawson will make fetishists very happy, however, with her comments on the costuming. Bring out the gimp indeed.

Peter at Slashfilm has more from Rodriguez, this time about the feature behind the trailer, Machete. In brief, the plan seems to be to shoot it quickly and cheaply in the middle of the Sin City 2 production, and release it straight to DVD at the same time as Grind House arrives on disc.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see both Depp and Banderas appear in the Sin City sequals. They're both amazing actors and bring such a commanding presence to the screen. Rodriguez gets a huge thumbs up from me for the excellent casting job.