Saturday, July 21, 2007

Stephen Chow Is Seth Rogen's Kato

If he agrees, Stephen Chow will be Kato in the upcoming Seth Rogen Green Hornet film.

I'm not sure I like this idea. First of all, let me make it absolutely clear that I am a huge, huge fan of Chow - but that, really is the problem. Not only is he one of the greatest performers to ever grace the silver screen, he's also one of the best writer-directors at work today. He made my top 100 directors list and easily so.

The idea of Chow stopping everything for a few months to star in The Green Hornet just seems like a waste. While Chow is getting his own films made - and they are proving to be some of the best films you could hope to see - I can't really look forward to him taking any detours.

So, without a promise that Chow won't be slowed down or distracted from the frying of a bigger fish, I'm still backing Tony Jaa. I think the man has a credible degree of untapped comic potential, when playing innocents at least, and I can see him being a good foil for Rogen.

Incidentally, no director has been named for the film. I'm still backing Jake Kasdan, but I would be at all surprised to see Rogen taking the job himself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe Stephen Chow would consider filling the director's chair for Green Hornet. He's a life long Bruce Lee fan, so I don't think its out of the question.