Saturday, May 19, 2007

I'm Unpersuaded - Send In The Clooney And The Grant

According to TV, radio and tabloid reports here in the UK (but nothing I can link to as yet, I'm afraid) George Clooney and Hugh Grant are to star in a feature film adaptation of The Persuaders. Apparently, Ben Stiller is the film's producer so don't expect it to be played straight.

I was wondering if Charlie's Angels (which I liked, a lot) started this trend of reinventing old TV as slightly kitschy, jokey films when I remembered The Brady Bunch Movie. If I remember correctly, I rather liked that too... so, maybe the question should be when it all went wrong. Your suggestions, please.

Perhaps a big screen Happy Days will come along so that the genre can literally jump the shark.

2 comments:

Tyler Foster said...

I don't know, but I too liked both Charlie's Angels movies as fluff entertainment and I even thought Bewitched was undeserving of its reputation (if only for one line -- "Make me 200 cappucinos and bring me the best one!").

Mark Kardwell said...

When it all went wrong? Maybe after Jeremiah Chechik proved himself unemployable with THE AVENGERS. But Justin Theroux's Irish accent in CHARLIE'S ANGELS: FULL THROTTLE is a personal bugbear.